My response to Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'despite being a woman' remark

1) Despite being a woman, I refuse to be referred to only as someone’s wife, lover, mother or daughter. My capabilities are not defined by my relationships.
2) Despite being a woman, I muster the courage to step out onto the streets and combat misogyny every day.
3) Despite being a woman, I fight for equal rights. At home, in the workplace, and in public spaces .Despite being a woman and despite witnessing injustices, I raise my voice in the din of voices- laden with machismo, in the hope that my voice will not be silenced.
4) Despite being a woman, I leave for work every morning, wanting recognition for my craft and hoping that my choice of clothing will not be met with disdain and moral policing.
5)Despite being a woman, I exercise my right to freedom, my right to love, my right to dream and my right to live a life as freely and as successfully as a man.
6) Despite being a woman, I refuse to let the collective voices telling me to ‘settle down and have children’ get to me. Despite being a woman, I choose to live life on my own terms.
7) Despite being a woman, I refuse to be bullied. I refuse to cower down and let patriarchy dictate terms to me.
8) Despite being a woman, I dare to dream. I dream of a world where women are not extinguished in their mothers' wombs, where girls are not sold and trafficked for money, where wives are not beaten up for exercising their right to choose.
9) Despite being a woman, I demand equal pay for equal work.
10) Despite being a woman, I refuse to be referred to as “the fairer sex.” Despite being a woman, I protest against the misogyny hurled at us by our honorable Prime Minister. ‪#‎Despitebeingawoman‬


http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/narendra-modi-draws-flak-for-despite-being-a-woman-remark/articleshow/47588959.cms

Comments