Hypernerdism and other tiny details of my humdrum life

Like I said in my earlier post, the area I live in is about a twenty minute walk from my university on a good day. On a bad day, when traffic lights are always red ( gah!) it can take from anywhere from thirty to forty-five minutes. I walk from Russell Square station to Kingsway every single day, which is really good exercise, but can often get quite tiring. I also have the same songs being hammered on and on in my head now because my ipod doesn't have all the songs I want and now I need to wait till I go back home in December for new songs.

It's quite cold here now, and has been raining quite consistently over the past week or so, even though I'm quite happy to say that it hasn't rained in the past three weeks. When I was a young child reading Enid Blyton books and dreaming about going to boarding school, having tuckboxes and going for a midnight swim, I always wondered why the girls always obsessed about the weather. Now, it finally makes sense. You can't plan your day at all unless you know what the weather will be like. I always find myself having to dress accordingly before I step out of my house.

The work on my Masters programme is excessively intensive and for the past four days I haven't had time to breathe, let alone do anything else. And it's not just me. My classmates are all in the same boat.


 If any one of you is planning on a U.K. Masters, my advice would be to think things through before actually committing  to it, because it will probably mean that you can only study. Some people even manage to work despite this of course ( don't ask me how!) so if you can channel your inner hypernerd and inner superachiever, go ahead! :)

I'm actually looking forward to a fairly relaxing weekend though, even though I have loads to read up on. One of my professors invited me to go to a pujo with her on Friday. I also need to attend a seminar tomorrow and on Saturday all the Social Anthropology students meet up for a drink at the pub, something that I've organised because I'm the student representative of my programme.

I really LOVE my academic advisor who said that in order to write like an anthropologist, you need to think like one. Apart from our formal assignments, she's also asked us to locate any one piece of news ( for example, the Chilean miners) that can be deemed anthropological or looked at through an anthropological lens. I know this bit of information might seem a bit dry to some of you, but I've had some people writing to me, expressing an interest in studying anthropology and asking me what it's like. I'm obviously at the very early stages, but I'd love to speak to anyone who wants to study anthropology and would actively encourage it, especially if your first degree has been in literature!

No more academic stuff in my next blogpost. I'll be telling you exactly where I live and what I do with my almost nonexistent free time!

Comments

Magically Bored said…
Sounds like you're being constructive, productive, and happy. Good for you. Wish you all the best. :)