Settling in

So I've finally made the transition from life in Kolkata to life in London. London will be my temporary home for at least a year and I think it'll take me some time to warm up to the city. If I do fall in love with it, it will be the slow, cautious kind of love and not the intense sweep-me-off-my-feet kind. I've tried a few things though- stood in front of the King's Cross station hoping to turn into Harry Potter (epic fail!), tried to remember the names of every single street on my way to university ( not accomplished that either, but getting better at it), tried to listen to accents and place people ( been pretty accurate at that).
Ma is in London at the moment and because I don't know too many people here yet that's quite a relief. Of course, there are the occasional pangs of homesickness, but I've had the good fortune of meeting up with people I have grown up around over the past couple of days. Also, what really helps are the physical, tangible things, surprisingly.
I have a really snug green blanket now and I have acquired a planner- a moleskin to boot. Let's see if I can actually be disciplined and do well. The prospect of having moved to a completely new country is nerve-wracking.
Sucheta, Sohini and Soumyasree- The Auden, the stole and the earrings are helping tremendously. Thank you guys for being so thoughtful.
I've been really bad as far as writing/ responding to emails are concerned for the past couple of weeks and I'm really sorry. If you are expecting an email from me, I promise to write as soon as I can.
I'm also going to try and carry on with the interview series, depending on how much time I get. In the meantime, feel free to suggest changes/ ask questions/ start a fiery debate. I'm up for pretty much anything! :)

Comments

sherene said…
welcome to London :) the weather is probably not presenting you the warmest of welcomes, September is normally not THIS bad...all the best settling down, hope it goes well!
Reeti said…
Thanks Sherene! :)
CheshireCat said…
Of course I'm expecting a mail! But I know you've been busy settling in.
Ami toke ekta lomba, gossipy mail korbo. Take care. =)
Magically Bored said…
Hope all's good with you, and that the blanket prevents any homesickness. *hug*