Letter from Scotland- written on August 2

Originally, written as an email, but posted here for those of you who have been wondering what I've up to :

So I arrived here in Edinburgh only yesterday, but it seems like I could stay here forever. The place is absolutely gorgeous and when landing, all I could see was green everywhere. That, and huge castles and fortresses. I'm staying at the Pollock Halls of Residence, in Baird House. Breakfast and Dinner are served within the Pollock Halls and I will eat lunch at the Library Cafe in St George Square.

I'm usually not a cat person at all, but this cat is moody, temperamental and really fascinating. It actually comes up to you and Asks to be pet!

The other students from the Creative Writing course haven't arrived as yet, so it's just me and this girl called Anna. Anna has been attending the Scottish Literature programme as well and like me, has majored in English Literature. She's actually double majored- in English Literature and Music. Her senior thesis was comparing northern ragas to jazz! So you can see how she and I would get along just fine.

I was driven to the Pollock Halls of Residence by a gregarious scotsman who told me how busy August gets here in Edinburgh. He started off by referring to me as pal, but had graduated to calling me darling and sweetheart, perhaps prompted by by complete lack of knowhow of the city ( Example : There's not a thing I don't know about this city, sweetheart/ You have fun in edinburgh darling). That was my " I'm feeling like a two year old now" moment, but I was glad to have some decent company after a rather horrendous flight, where three cranky, impolite kids behaved horribly and one of them snatched my blanket. Ma, how come you never gave us permission to be like this? :O

My room has a pink bedspread, a washbasin, a mirror and a rather large cupboard. It looks a lot like my butterfly room back home, except that it's much bigger. Every evening, men in kilts ( and women in skirts) gather together to play  bagpipes.

I met my course coordinators over dinner last night and a Turkish girl called Begum. Later on, we found out that we're in adjacent rooms, so we're neighbours! 

Today, I get to potter around and explore the place a bit before a reception, which will involve meeting my classmates and tutor.

I don't know how much time I'll get once the course begins, but I'll try to keep you updated as and when possible.

Comments

Magically Bored said…
Hope you're having fun in Scotland!
Stay safe. :)
Sharad said…
Keep the letters coming, sweetheart!
Unknown said…
Bah bah. Khub bhalo lagchhe shunte. Keep writing.